Get the FAQs regarding Spanish visas and moving to Spain.

What is an IPREM?

The term IPREM stands for Indicador Público de Renta de Efectos Múltiples’. This is a variable amount of money set by the Spanish government. It is likely to change every year. 

In 2023 the IPREM amount is €7,200 per year or €600 per month. 

Many Spanish visas require applicants to have a certain amount of money in reserve in order to be eligible for the visa. 

The amount of funds required is different depending on the visa type and the number of dependents you are bringing.

For example, in 2023, the Golden/Investor visa requires you to have 400% of the IPREM amount in reserve. So, you would need €7,200 x 4 = €28,800.

What is an NIE Number?

The NIE is your personal identification number. NIE stands for número de identidad de extranjero.It is unique to each person and is assigned by the Spanish government to foreigners engaging in activities in Spain. It can be used for a variety of reasons that require identification. 

Some examples of when you will need an NIE is:

  • Paying tax
  • Buying property
  • Establishing a business
  • Starting a new job
  • Opening a bank account

Your number will start with an X or Y, will be followed by 7 or 8 numbers and then another letter. For example X1234567A.

The NIE is automatically assigned when your visa is granted. Once you receive your NIE you can then apply for your TIE card (foreigner identity card).

What is a TIE Card?

The TIE is the Spanish Foreigner Identity Card (Tarjeta de identidad de extranjero). It proves that you are legally entitled to live in Spain for longer than 6 months. 

The card will show your basic information such as your name and surname, how long the card is valid for and your NIE.

Once you arrive in Spain you should start the TIE application as soon as possible. You only have one month to start the process. This document is a mandatory legal requirement.

Click to read more about the TIE process and application.

What documents might need an apostille?

An apostille is an official stamp that authenticates the public officer’s signature. This seal is recognised by 93 countries worldwide. 

In 1961 a treaty was signed by the participating countries to agree their recognition of the apostille. This is known as the Hague Convention. 

Some documents also require notarisation by a Notary Public before they can be apostilled.

Certain documents will need to be apostilled before you can apply for your visa.

If your documents are not correctly notarised and apostilled, your visa application will be rejected.

Documents that need apostille include:

  • Birth certificate
  • Marriage certificate
  • Criminal check
  • Medical Certificate

Documents that need notarisation and apostille include:

  • Academic certificates
  • Permits and licences
  • Letters of employment
  • Proof of residency in Spain

Most of these documents need to have been issued within the last 6 months.

We offer both notarisation and apostille services at our sister companies Woodcock Notary Public and Fast Legalisation

What is Permanent Residence?

Permanent Residence applies to foreign citizens when they have lived in Spain for 5 years or more. You must have been residing in Spain legally to be eligible (Study and Internship visas have different requirements).

Once permanent residency has been granted, a card will be issued. This card lasts 5 years and can be renewed indefinitely. 

The main perks of Permanent Residency are:

  • State healthcare, private insurance is no longer required
  • You can work or start a business
  • You can move freely within the Schengen Zone
  • You can bring over non-immediate dependants (eg. your parents over 65)
  • If you wish to move from Spain to another Schengen Zone country, you can apply for EU permanent residency.

Enquire now to check if you are eligible for permanent residency. Call us today on: 07884131909

When they have lived in Spain for 10 years or more they can apply for citizenship. This means you have the right to apply for a Spanish passport.

Do Spanish Visa Specialists offer Health Insurance?

No, but our partners ASSSA do offer this service. Click this link: https://www.asssa.es/en/landing/woodcock-notary-public/ to enquire about their services.

You need full health insurance that covers you for the whole time you are in Spain. If you are going for 12 months, ASSSA recommends you take out a 15-month policy to cover any cross-over period between moving to and leaving Spain.

How do I get a Medical Certificate?

You can request a medical certificate to be issued by your GP in the UK and it needs to be apostilled and translated. 

We may be able to assist you in getting your medical certificate issued directly from Spain. This takes 2 working days for the soft copy (Digital copy in PDF form). Delivery takes 5 working days. 

To find out if you’re eligible for this, please call our office today on 07884 131909.

Do Spanish Visa Specialists offer a translation service?

Yes, we can translate all official documents required for Spanish Visas. This service is available as part of our full package, or by request. 

Call us today on 07884 131 909 to discuss your translation needs. 

Our in-house translator is certified and accredited by the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs with more than 17 years’ experience.