Applying for your Spanish TIE card (Foreigner Identity Card)

If you’re moving to Spain on a visa and will be living there for 6 months or more, you need to apply for a TIE (Tarjeta de identidad de extranjero) - your Spain Foreigner Identity Card.
Man in his 60s wearing a red shirt and holding a TIE card (Spanish Foreigner Identity Card)

Your TIE (Spanish Foreigner Identity card) proves that you are legally authorised to reside in Spain.

Applying for a TIE card is something you must do yourself, so we are unable to help with the process. Instead, we can offer insightful information on what you need to do. 

When do I need a Spanish Foreigner Identity Card?

If you are in Spain on a visa for longer than 6 months, a TIE is required. It is a legal obligation and must be applied for within 1 month of arriving in Spain.

If you are a citizen of the EU or EEA countries you do not need to apply for one.

How do I apply for a TIE card?

You will need to keep any forms given back to you from the consulate at your visa application appointment, and resubmit them for the TIE card application. 

You can apply at a police station or an immigration office. You must schedule an appointment online via the electronic office of the Public Administration. 

You will need the following documents:

  • Confirmation of your appointment
  • A completed EX17 form (the TIE application form)
  • Proof of payment of the TIE fee (between €10 to €20)
  • Padron Certificate (official proof of your Spanish address)
  • Your valid passport with your Spanish visa
  • 2 passport-size photos
  • Your NIE number (see our FAQs to learn about the NIE number)

How long is a TIE valid?

The TIE card is valid for 5 years. After 5 years of residency in Spain, you are entitled to a permanent TIE which is valid for 10 years. 

If your card expires, you must renew it.

You should renew it the month before it expires.

Please remember to renew your visa when it expires. If you need any help with this process, please contact 07884131909.

What happens if I lose or damage my card?

If your TIE card is lost, stolen or damaged, you should apply for a replacement straight away. You have one month to do this. 

What we do

Whilst we can only give you guidance for your TIE card application, we can help you with other things related to Spain.

Our team of experts can help you apply for a range of Spanish visas, and help get your documents ready to be used there.

Get in touch with us today if you need our assistance.

Contact us to speak to one of our friendly consultants

We are experts in Spanish emigration. We understand how the system works and guide our clients through the entire process.

Whether you are simply researching your options or ready to apply, we are here to help.

Contact us