Visiting Spain as a non-British Citizen

UK residents who do not have a British passport may need a visa to travel into Spain.

Visiting Spain as a non-British Citizen id easy. If you want to move to Spain, it’s likely that you will want to travel there prior to making any concrete plans, in order for you to look around an area or house you are interested in living in.

Doing so is simple if you are a UK citizen, as there is no requirement for a visa if you don’t intend on staying in Spain for more than 90 days. It’s slightly more complicated, however, for people who currently live in the UK but are not British citizens. 

Many UK residents who do not hold a UK passport will be required to get a Schengen visa to travel to Spain. The countries whose nationals require visas to travel to Europe changes regularly. Click here to see the list of nationalities that are required to get a Schengen Visa.

Citizens of these countries are required to get a visa in order to enter Spain. Before you apply for one though, you should note that your UK residence rights must extend at least three months beyond the date you plan to leave Spain.  

From November 2023, all travellers from outside the EU will need to get authorisation from the EU’s new security system, known as ETIAS. This will affect all travellers, including British nationals. Read more about the ETIAS here

How to apply for a Schengen visa 

You should apply for a visa at the Spanish Embassy/Consulate or Spanish visa application centre in the UK if Spain is the only Schengen country you plan on visiting or if it is your main destination.

The documents you need to apply for the visa include:

  • A valid passport
  • Your UK residence permit
  • Proof of accommodation
  • Travel insurance 

You may also be required to provide a letter from your employer in the UK and bank statements that detail the last six months. The maximum time you can stay in the EU with a Schengen Visa is 90 days in any 180 period. 

How we can help

Many people in the situation of needing a visa to go to Spain often arrange for their British partner or family member to go on their behalf, but If you want to join them in looking at a property in Spain, we can talk you through the process of getting a visa.

Contact us to speak to one of our friendly consultants

We are experts in Spanish emigration. We understand how the system works and guide our clients through the entire process.

Whether you are simply researching your options or ready to apply, we are here to help.

Contact us